Latest posts by MAYORS & CITIES MAGAZINE (see all)
default ads for article
JAKARTA — This study was conducted to identify The most innovative cities within the Asia Pacific region to help industry players assess the most attractive places where they can plant and grow their business. It is designed to determine whether a particular city has built an effective innovation ecosystem.
We use six main categories to measure each city’s level of innovativeness: human talent, knowledge creation, technology, society, government, as well as global integration. These key criteria are inspired by Richard Florida’s Creative Class & Creative Economy, which identifies the relationships between what a particular location has to offer and the amount of talent attracted to that same location.
Solidiance identified sixteen notable urban centers in Asia Pacific and included them in this study, and as a result of our comprehensive assessment and analysis, the Top 5 most innovative cities in Asia Pacific are as follows: Singapore, Sydney, Melbourne, Hong Kong, and Auckland. The Top 3 cities were very closely ranked and a “photoshoot” was needed to allocate the ‘Gold medal’ to Singapore. This means this ranking is likely to change in the future.
As we distinguish the study’s key takeaways further, we suggest that what makes a favorable innovation habitat is, a proper incorporation of factors across categories:
- Rich availability of educated and skillful human talent, enabled by diversity and life amenity
- Knowledge creation produced by the tertiary education institutes, firms, and government
- Proper level of city livability and the tolerance that its society possesses towards deviant norms and failure, along with their ability to sustain culture and value
- Technology advancement and innovation ecosystem facilitated by the government
- Favorable regulatory framework set by the government to sustain the city system
- Global integration and the city’s orientation towards the future indicated by a high level of the city’s connectivity and environmental sustainability
During the process of this study, we encountered a lot of engaging quirks and fascinating insights about innovativeness in the Asia Pacific cities. Thriving to deliver the best depiction of innovation in the region, Solidiance complements this study with a short documentary movie. It features various innovative ecosystems in the region and interviews with C-level executives of major firms from various industry sectors as well as other cities' stakeholders (government, academics, artists) to provide different perspectives about innovation in the city.
Source : Asiainnovativecities