Login

Register

FOLLOW US ON:
  LOGIN | CREATE AN ACCOUNT
 
IN THE NEWS
Two men arrested after break-in at Buckingham Palace

Two men arrested after break-in at Buckingham Palace

Post ID: 40445 | POSTED ON: Sep 07, 2013
 
 

LONDON, ENGLAND — Two men were arrested earlier this week after one of them scaled a fence to get into Buckingham Palace, British police revealed on Saturday, making it one of the most serious security breaches at Queen Elizabeth's London residence in decades.

The incident happened at approximately 10:20 p.m. local time on Monday when a 37-year-old man scaled a fence to gain entry to the palace grounds before damaging a door to access an area which is open to the public during the day. A second suspect, a 38-year-old man, was arrested outside the palace.

A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS), which is better known as Scotland Yard, said the 37-year-old man was charged with burglary, trespass and criminal damage while the 38-year-old man was charged with conspiracy to commit burglary. Both have since been bailed to return to a central London police station in mid-October.

"A review of the specific circumstances of this incident is being carried out," the police spokesman said, without disclosing the names or motive of the suspects, but adding that the criminal damage charge refers to the door which was damaged during the break-in. "No members of the Royal Family were at Buckingham Palace at the time of the incident," he added.

Monday's incident was perhaps the most serious security breach at the Queen's London residence in more than 30 years. The most famous incident happened in the summer of 1982 when intruder Michael Fagan broke into Buckingham Palace twice, stealing wine from the bedroom of Prince Charles and breaking into the queen's bedroom where she was sleeping.

It had long been believed that the queen had a conversation with the intruder until security arrived, but Fagan denied this in an interview with The Independent in February 2012. He said he pulled back the curtains of her four-poster bed, after which he found the queen staring up at him.

"[What] are you doing here?!" Queen Elizabeth said, according to Fagan, who said the monarch got up and ran out of the room to call security. Paul Whybrew, an unarmed senior servant of the queen, was first to respond and stalled Fagan by taking him to the queen's pantry and pouring him a glass of Scotch whisky.

The intruder was later arrested and charged with theft for stealing the wine of Prince Charles, but the charges were dropped after he was committed to a mental institution on unrelated offenses. Fagan said last year that he does not know why he broke into Buckingham Palace, but said he returned the second time because he thought it was "naughty" that he could walk around the palace.

The following two tabs change content below.
MAYORS & CITIES is a Washington, DC Magazine published by Metropolix Media, Inc a Nonprofit , Nonpartisan News Organization that promotes cities as centers of democracy , good governance , leadership and opportunity by strengthening civic engagement on public policies.Mayors & Cities Magazine also intends to give Mayors , Elected Officials and Citizens the opportunity to make their voices and positions heard in the search for solutions to major problems that our cities are facing today.

You May Also Like

Post Your Comments

(0) Readers Comments

Comments are closed.

Travel
website security