default ads for article
JACKSONVILLE – Dear Friends,This Sunday, July 1, marks one year since I took the oath of office. It’s been an honor to serve the City of Jacksonville and I’m excited about the progress we’ve made.
In just one year, we’ve seen the size and cost of government shrink. We’ve seen nearly 3,000 new good-paying jobs come on line at companies like GE Capital, National Healing Corp., Medtronic, Saft and Web.com as our unemployment rate fell by nearly three percentage points. We’ve received word that the U.S. Navy will be growing the fleet at Mayport. We have dozens of new kayak launches and 3.5 miles of new JaxParks hiking trails. And we’ve built a number of education programs at no cost to taxpayers that focus on character development and the path to higher education.
I invite you all to click here to read more about how far we, as a city, have come in just one year.
Here are some highlights:
- Efficiency cutbacks have reduced City Hall’s biweekly payroll by $1 million.
- Community partners have, to date, committed more than $7 million to programs that strengthen Jacksonville.
- More than 600 highly qualified volunteers have been added to the city’s school-based mentoring ranks at no cost to taxpayers through Mayor’s Mentors.
- Negotiations with the Fraternal Order of Police and American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees have concluded with deals saving taxpayers $20 million and $4 million, respectively, over the next three years.
Each of these accomplishments is a testament to the teamwork among my administration, City Council, the business community, Jacksonville’s faith-based and nonprofit organizations and the more than 800,000 residents who make our city great.
When I talk about taking Jacksonville to the next level, I’m talking about continuing to build on this great momentum for even more good jobs, a vibrant education system and a higher quality of life. We are a city on the move, and I thank you for everything you do to put Jacksonville first.
About The Author
Alvin Brown Mayor Of Jacksonville
Latest posts by Alvin Brown Mayor Of Jacksonville (see all)
- $1.1 billion in savings through retirement reform - 05/10/2013
- Restoring more than $1 million to public service programs - 03/04/2013
- A new era for Downtown Jacksonville - 08/27/2012