default ads for article
SEATTLE – Today the U.S. Conference of Mayors passed a resolution calling on Village Voice Media to adopt in-person age verification for online escort ads. The resolution, sponsored by Mayor Mike McGinn, was adopted during the U.S. Conference of Mayors meeting in Orlando, Florida.
“The time is long past for Village Voice Media to adopt the only effective policy to fight the trafficking of minors for sex on Backpage.Com: in-person age verification,” said McGinn. “I thank my fellow mayors across the country for formally joining the national effort asking Village Voice Media to protect children, not profits. Washington State is a leader in this effort, including State Senator Jeanne Kohl-Welles championing state legislation passed this year that makes advertising the commercial sexual exploitation of a minor a felony offense.”
The resolution was also sponsored by the following mayors across the country:
· Mayor Sam Adams, Portland, Oregon,
· Mayor Michael Bloomberg, New York City, New York,
· Mayor Tim Leavitt, Vancouver, Washington,
· Mayor Edwin M. Lee, San Francisco, California,
· Mayor Pete Lewis, Auburn, Washington,
· Mayor John Marchione, Redmond, Washington,
· Mayor Michael Nutter, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (Vice President)
· Mayor Annise Parker, Houston, Texas (Chair, Committee on Criminal and Social Justice),
· Mayor Skip Priest, Federal Way, Washington,
· Mayor Jerry Sanders, San Diego, California,
· Mayor Pedro E. Segarra, Hartford, Connecticut
· Mayor Paul Soglin, Madison, Wisconsin,
· Mayor Marilyn Strickland, Tacoma, Washington,
· Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, Los Angeles, California.
All Mayor’s Office press conferences, town halls and general public meetings are archived by Seattle Channel. Many town halls and press conferences are also broadcast live to the web. Sign up for The Reader, our office newsletter, at our website. And learn more about your neighbors and the mayor’s activities on our blog.