Argentina confirms first monkeypox death
Nov 29, 2022 - 06:47 AM
BUENOS AIRES (AA) – Health authorities in Argentina confirmed the country’s first monkeypox death Monday.The 44-year-old man was a resident of Buenos Aires province who had been hospitalized since Sept. 17, according to the Ministry of Health.
According to the National Epidemiological Bulletin (BEN), the patient had been in intensive care and on a respirator machine since Oct. 9.
It said the man died as a result of “septic shock,” a life-threatening condition that occurs when a person’s blood pressure drops to critically low levels following an infection.
BEN also said the patient had suffered from “risk factors” and confirmed he had HIV-AIDS.
According to the Ministry of Health, as of Nov. 22, 895 monkeypox cases had been confirmed in Argentina.
The highest concentration was confirmed in the capital, with 594 registered cases in the city of Buenos Aires
BEN said that most patients with monkeypox in Argentina have reported vesicular rashes in various locations including the genitals, hands, torso and face as well as fever and lymphadenopathy
In the Americas, Brazil has reported 12 monkeypox deaths, the US 14 deaths, Mexico four deaths and Ecuador two deaths, while Chile and Cuba have each recorded one death.
The latest developments came as the World Health Organization announced Monday that it has renamed monkeypox as mpox, saying the disease’s name plays into “racist and stigmatizing language.”
It said that both names will be used simultaneously for one year while ‘monkeypox’ is phased out.