fbpx
The annual Global Impact Conference 2022 brings together visionary business leaders to revolutionize educational systems and inspire collaborative actionRead more APO Group announces content partnership with Pan-African broadcaster VoxAfricaRead more MainOne, an Equinix Company’s MDXi Appolonia Achieves Tier III Constructed Facility certification (TCCF), Now Most Certified Data Center in GhanaRead more United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) warns rising tide of hunger, insecurity, and underfunding worsening gender-based violence risksRead more The Royal Thai Embassy presents the cultures of Thailand at the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Festival in KenyaRead more Climate change is the biggest global threat, young people in Africa and Europe tell European Investment Bank (EIB), Debating Africa and Debating EuropeRead more $2 million in prizes awarded at Conference of the Parties (COP27) to African youth-led businessesRead more Africa and Europe’s top business and public sector leaders gather to chart Africa’s economic rebirthRead more The Thai delegation’s active participation at the 145th Assembly of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) in KigaliRead more Canon shares winning image of its Redline Challenge competition 2022Read more

Fed officials expect to soon slow pace of rate hikes: Meeting minutes

show caption
AFP Photo
Print Friendly and PDF

Nov 24, 2022 - 12:46 AM

ANKARA (AA) – US Federal Reserve officials expect to slow the pace of interest rate increases soon, according to the minutes of its last meeting that were released Wednesday.

“A substantial majority of participants judged that a slowing in the pace of increase would likely soon be appropriate,” according to minutes from the central bank’s last monetary policy meeting on Nov. 1 – 2.

Members of the Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) also considered a cumulative tightening of monetary policy to date, the lags between monetary policy actions and the behavior of economic activity and inflation, and economic and financial developments.

On Nov. 2, the Fed made a rate hike of 75 basis points for the fourth consecutive time, carrying the target range for the federal funds rate to between 3.75% and 4% — its highest since January 2008.

The probability of the Fed raising rates by 50 basis points stood at 76%, according to the FedWatch Tool provided by US-based global markets company the Chicago Mercantile Exchange Group. The probability of a hike of 75 basis points was 24% after the release of the minutes.

While the Fed’s aggressive monetary tightening has been crushing for US stocks, especially for tech firms, the minutes said “a few participants commented that slowing the pace of increase could reduce the risk of instability in the financial system.”

  • bio
  • twitter
  • facebook
  • latest posts

MAORANDCITIES.COM uses both Facebook and Disqus comment systems to make it easier for you to contribute. We encourage all readers to share their views on our articles and blog posts. All comments should be relevant to the topic. By posting, you agree to our Privacy Policy. We are committed to maintaining a lively but civil forum for discussion, so we ask you to avoid personal attacks, name-calling, foul language or other inappropriate behavior. Please keep your comments relevant and respectful. By leaving the ‘Post to Facebook’ box selected – when using Facebook comment system – your comment will be published to your Facebook profile in addition to the space below. If you encounter a comment that is abusive, click the “X” in the upper right corner of the Facebook comment box to report spam or abuse. You can also email us.