Pelosi husband released from hospital after attack
Nov 04, 2022 - 03:45 AM
SAN FRANCISCO — House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s husband has been released from hospital, the US politician said Thursday, following an attack in which a man broke into the couple’s home and hit her spouse on the head with a hammer.
The man accused of the violent episode, David DePape, 42, allegedly intended to tie up Pelosi and break her kneecaps, but found only her 82-year-old husband, Paul Pelosi.
“Paul remains under doctors’ care as he continues to progress on a long recovery process and convalescence,” the speaker said in a press release. “He is now home surrounded by his family who request privacy.”
DePape was arrested last week and ordered to be held in custody after he pleaded not guilty to attempted murder and other charges during his arraignment Tuesday at a San Francisco court.
“Paul is grateful to the 911 operator, emergency responders, trauma care team, ICU staff, and the entire… medical staff” at the San Francisco hospital where he received care, Nancy Pelosi said.
“The Pelosi family is thankful for the beautiful outpouring of love, support and prayers from around the world,” she added.
According to the state prosecutors’ filing, DePape startled Paul Pelosi awake from his bed in the early hours of Friday, holding a hammer and several plastic zip ties.
He told Paul Pelosi he had come to find Nancy Pelosi because she is “number two in line for the presidency,” and “we’ve got to take them all out.”
In a speech Wednesday, US President Joe Biden linked the attack to the political violence unleashed by ex-president Donald Trump’s supporters against Congress on January 6, 2021.
Republicans, he said, have “emboldened violence and intimidation of voters and election officials.”
“That is the path to chaos in America,” he said.