Somalia: ‘I sold the last three goats, they were likely to die’Read more Merck Foundation and African First Ladies marking World Cancer Day 2023 through 110 scholarships of Oncology Fellowships in 25 countriesRead more Supporting women leaders and aspirants to unleash their potentialRead more Fake medicines kill almost 500,000 sub-Saharan Africans a year: United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) reportRead more Climate crisis and migration: Greta Thunberg supports International Organization for Migration (IOM) over ‘life and death’ issueRead more United Nations (UN) Convenes Lake Chad Countries, Amid Growing Regional CrisisRead more 11 Disruptive Startups Selected for Cohort 3 of the Africa Startup Initiative Program (ASIP) Accelerator Program powered by Startupbootcamp AfricaRead more Africa Data Centres breaks ground on new Sameer facility in NairobiRead more Coffee with a human face: A union that improves livelihoods for Ugandan farmersRead more Trends Predicted to drive the retail industry in 2023Read more

Suspect still at large in Canadian stabbing spree that left 10 dead

show caption
AFP Photo
Print Friendly and PDF

Sep 07, 2022 - 03:17 AM

TRENTON, Canada (AA) – A manhunt continued Tuesday in Canada for the second suspect in a stabbing rampage that left 10 people dead and 18 wounded.

Myles Sanderson, 32, was said to have been spotted Tuesday on the James Smith Cree Nation reserve, the scene of most of the stabbings that took place Sunday, in the province of Saskatchewan. But it proved to be a false alarm, according to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP).

The other suspect, Myles’ brother, Damien Sanderson, 31, was found dead Monday with wounds that were not self-inflicted, said RCMP, but released no further details at a news conference.

Myles Sanderson faces three counts of first-degree murder, attempted murder and breaking and entering. More charges are pending, said police.

Hundreds of officers from Saskatchewan and the neighboring provinces of Alberta and Manitoba are involved in the intense manhunt for the elder Sanderson.

His last confirmed sighting was in Regina, 200 miles from the murder scenes that covered 13 locations on the Smith reserve and the nearby village of Weldon. But police said they no longer believe he is in Regina.

While police provided no motive for the murder spree, Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Chief Bobby Cameron said at a Sunday news conference that “this is the destruction we face when harmful illegal drugs invade our communities.”

Myles Sanderson had 59 convictions in a 20-year period and was serving a five-year sentence for assault, assault with a weapon and uttering threats. He was paroled but an arrest warrant was issued after he failed to show up for a scheduled meeting with his parole officer in May.

Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino said the parole board’s decision to grant Sanderson release will be reviewed.

MAORANDCITIES.COM uses both Facebook and Disqus comment systems to make it easier for you to contribute. We encourage all readers to share their views on our articles and blog posts. All comments should be relevant to the topic. By posting, you agree to our Privacy Policy. We are committed to maintaining a lively but civil forum for discussion, so we ask you to avoid personal attacks, name-calling, foul language or other inappropriate behavior. Please keep your comments relevant and respectful. By leaving the ‘Post to Facebook’ box selected – when using Facebook comment system – your comment will be published to your Facebook profile in addition to the space below. If you encounter a comment that is abusive, click the “X” in the upper right corner of the Facebook comment box to report spam or abuse. You can also email us.