fbpx
Open Society Foundations (OSF) Award $1.1 Million Grant to Afrobarometer to Spur Future GrowthRead more The annual Global Impact Conference 2022 brings together visionary business leaders to revolutionize educational systems and inspire collaborative actionRead more APO Group announces content partnership with Pan-African broadcaster VoxAfricaRead more MainOne, an Equinix Company’s MDXi Appolonia Achieves Tier III Constructed Facility certification (TCCF), Now Most Certified Data Center in GhanaRead more United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) warns rising tide of hunger, insecurity, and underfunding worsening gender-based violence risksRead more The Royal Thai Embassy presents the cultures of Thailand at the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Festival in KenyaRead more Climate change is the biggest global threat, young people in Africa and Europe tell European Investment Bank (EIB), Debating Africa and Debating EuropeRead more $2 million in prizes awarded at Conference of the Parties (COP27) to African youth-led businessesRead more Africa and Europe’s top business and public sector leaders gather to chart Africa’s economic rebirthRead more The Thai delegation’s active participation at the 145th Assembly of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) in KigaliRead more

Suspected serial killer charged in 3 murders in California

show caption
Wesley Brownlee, 43, was arrested Saturday on suspicion of killing six men in California./AFP
Print Friendly and PDF

Oct 19, 2022 - 12:45 PM

LOS ANGELES — Authorities in California on Tuesday charged a suspected serial killer with the murder of three men in a string of shootings that have shocked the local community, officials said.

Truck driver Wesley Brownlee, 43, was arrested Saturday in the city of Stockton, around 80 miles east of San Francisco, on suspicion of killing six men and wounding a woman over the past 18 months.

Police said Brownlee was potentially seeking another victim when he was arrested.

District attorney Tori Verber Salazar said Tuesday she expects to file more charges in the other murders Brownlee is suspected of carrying out.

“We’re waiting for additional evidence to be processed through that will most likely… allow us the opportunity to add those additional charges,” said Salazar.

“We’re only four days into this,” she added.

Five men were killed in one area of Stockton between July 8 and September 27, and the murders bore a number of similarities.

Another man was killed in Oakland, about 50 miles away, last year.

One woman also survived a shooting believed to have been carried out by Brownlee.

The victims ranged in age from 21 to 54.

Investigators, including the FBI, are working to piece together a possible motive and to identify any other potentially related homicide cases.

Several of the victims were homeless, and the murders, committed late at night or at dawn, are all linked by ballistics, police said.

Salazar said Brownlee, who moved to Stockton this summer, has a criminal record, including drug-related felony offenses.

MAORANDCITIES.COM uses both Facebook and Disqus comment systems to make it easier for you to contribute. We encourage all readers to share their views on our articles and blog posts. All comments should be relevant to the topic. By posting, you agree to our Privacy Policy. We are committed to maintaining a lively but civil forum for discussion, so we ask you to avoid personal attacks, name-calling, foul language or other inappropriate behavior. Please keep your comments relevant and respectful. By leaving the ‘Post to Facebook’ box selected – when using Facebook comment system – your comment will be published to your Facebook profile in addition to the space below. If you encounter a comment that is abusive, click the “X” in the upper right corner of the Facebook comment box to report spam or abuse. You can also email us.