fbpx
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) warns rising tide of hunger, insecurity, and underfunding worsening gender-based violence risksRead more The Royal Thai Embassy presents the cultures of Thailand at the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Festival in KenyaRead more Climate change is the biggest global threat, young people in Africa and Europe tell European Investment Bank (EIB), Debating Africa and Debating EuropeRead more $2 million in prizes awarded at Conference of the Parties (COP27) to African youth-led businessesRead more Africa and Europe’s top business and public sector leaders gather to chart Africa’s economic rebirthRead more The Thai delegation’s active participation at the 145th Assembly of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) in KigaliRead more Canon shares winning image of its Redline Challenge competition 2022Read more Turning the tide on breast cancer in the Middle East and Africa (By Pelin Incesu)Read more Teaching someone to fish: the false dichotomy of relief and development (By Professor Mark Shrime)Read more Canada-Africa collaboration: Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to open Africa Accelerating 2022 on 25 OctoberRead more

US and allies condemn rebel advances in DR Congo

show caption
Kenyan and Congolese troops stand guard at the airport in Goma, in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, as former Kenyan president Uhuru Kenyatta, now a regional negotiator, landed on November 15, 2022./AFP
Print Friendly and PDF

Nov 19, 2022 - 03:37 AM

WASHINGTON — The United States, France, Britain and Belgium on Friday condemned “in the strongest terms” advances by the M23 rebel group in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, calling on them to pull back immediately and cease hostilities.

“The resumption of violence since 20 October, including in and around the towns of Rutshuru, Kiwanja, Rumangabo and Kibumba, undermines peace efforts and has caused further insecurity and significant human suffering,” the US said in a joint statement with the British, French and Belgian envoys for the Great Lakes region.

They called on all parties to participate in a new round of peace talks scheduled for next week in Nairobi.

“All support to non-state armed actors must stop, including external support to M23,” the statement said.

The March 23 movement, or M23, is a former Tutsi rebel group that took up arms again at the end of last year and seized the town of Bunagana on the border with Uganda in June.

After a brief period of calm, it went on the offenive again in October, greatly extending the territory under its control.

The East African Community (EAC) has announced that new peace talks are due to start in the Kenyan capital on November 21, although it has not yet specified who will be attending.

Kinshasa accuses Rwanda of providing M23 with support, something that UN experts and US officials have also pointed to in recent months.

Kigali disputes the charge, accusing Kinshasa of collusion with the FDLR, a former Rwandan Hutu rebel group established in the DRC after the genocide of the Tutsi community in 1994 in Rwanda.

MAORANDCITIES.COM uses both Facebook and Disqus comment systems to make it easier for you to contribute. We encourage all readers to share their views on our articles and blog posts. All comments should be relevant to the topic. By posting, you agree to our Privacy Policy. We are committed to maintaining a lively but civil forum for discussion, so we ask you to avoid personal attacks, name-calling, foul language or other inappropriate behavior. Please keep your comments relevant and respectful. By leaving the ‘Post to Facebook’ box selected – when using Facebook comment system – your comment will be published to your Facebook profile in addition to the space below. If you encounter a comment that is abusive, click the “X” in the upper right corner of the Facebook comment box to report spam or abuse. You can also email us.